Banana Split Ice Cream Recipe
- 5 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fat-free chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk and egg substitute. Cook over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 2. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in condensed milk and remaining fat-free milk. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 3. Combine bananas, lime juice and vanilla; stir into custard mixture. Fill ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion; gently fold in chocolate topping, pecans and cherries. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 193 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 fruit, 1 milk, 1 fat
Reviews for Banana Split Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.