- 5 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fat-free chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk and egg substitute. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; set pan in ice and stir to cool quickly.
- Pour into a large bowl; stir in condensed milk and remaining fat-free milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine bananas, lime juice and vanilla; stir into milk mixture. Fill ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Spoon each batch into a large freezer-safe container; gently fold in chocolate topping, pecans and cherries. Store in refrigerator freezer. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Banana Split Ice Cream in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p16
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Split Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Banana Ice Cream >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >