- 5 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fat-free chocolate ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk and egg substitute. Cook over low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in condensed milk and remaining fat-free milk. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Combine bananas, lime juice and vanilla; stir into custard mixture. Fill ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion; gently fold in chocolate topping, pecans and cherries. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Banana Split Ice Cream in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p16
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Split Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review