Banana Split Dessert Recipe
Here's a mouthwatering make-ahead dessert that looks scrumptious...and tastes as good as it looks!—Mrs. Elmer Thorsheim, Radcliffe, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + freezing YIELD:25 servings
- 3-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 4 to 5 medium banana
- 1/2 gallon Neapolitan ice cream (block carton)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine crumbs and melted butter. Set aside 1/2 cup; press remaining crumbs into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Slice bananas widthwise and layer over crust. Cut ice cream widthwise into eighths; place over bananas. Spread edges of ice cream slices to cover banana and form a smooth layer. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover and freeze until firm.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Add sugar and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until slightly thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Cool. Pour ice cream over filling; freeze until firm.
- 3. In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form; spread over chocolate layer; top with reserved crumbs. Store in freezer (will keep for several weeks). Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 25 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 406 calories, 26 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC