This banana-shaped cookie is garnished with homemade frosting, a chocolate drizzle and nuts and cherries. It really looks like a banana split.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 16 Banana Split-Inspired Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- 10 red candied cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, banana, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts and dried cherries.
- Place dough in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a 3/4-in. hole in one corner of bag. Pipe 2-in. strips about 2-in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Pipe three mounds over each cookie.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over tops; sprinkle with candied cherries and walnuts. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Split Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p134
Reviews for Banana Split Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review