- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Banana Split Bread
"very easy to make..."
"I've been making this for at least 20 years. When I'm in a really big hurry I use a yellow or spice cake mix and just throw everything in...the cherries, chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Throw a little extra pumpkin or apple pie spice in as well. I make it for our Preacher every year and many of the Seasoned adults at our church. they ALL love it...My cookbook calls it "Bishop's bread". My family can't wait for fall to come so I start baking more."
"YUMMMM ~ This is now my favorite banana bread recipe. So moist and just so good. I didn't add quite as many choc chips after reading another review but messed up and doubled the cherries . . . I think it was even better, but then I like cherry. Adding coconut like another reviewer suggested will be my next addition. Thanks for this recipe."
"I made the recipe exactly as written, but instead of regular chocolate chips I used the mini cc....and only 1 cup. Plenty of chips. MMMMM good! Beautiful presentation as well. Thanks for the awesome recipe."
"I followed the recipe exactly. Way too many chocolate chips. There is a lot of prep involved for a very underwhelming result. Did not put this in my "keeps" file."