Banana Split Bread Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Banana Split Bread(27)
Sort By :
You developed this recipe??? I have been making this bread for 40 years. The recipe was handed down from my Mother who got it from a neighbor. Recipe is exactly the same!!!
Hi everyone, captain obvious checking in. To those thinking this sweet bread is too dessert like, you are adding pineapple, chocolate and cherries. Of course it is... Don't serve WITH soup, serve after. Sorta like dessert.
My family didn't like this recipe as well as I thought it would. They thought it was too much like dessert. We have banana bread with soup and it didn't work for them. They said it had "too many things in it."
My family didn't enjoy this as much as I thought they would. They preferred a simpler version of banana bread. It was too much like a dessert. They said there were "too many things in it"!
YUMMMM ~ This is now my favorite banana bread recipe. So moist and just so good. I didn't add quite as many choc chips after reading another review but messed up and doubled the cherries . . . I think it was even better, but then I like cherry. Adding coconut like another reviewer suggested will be my next addition. Thanks for this recipe.