Banana Split Bread Recipe
I developed this recipe in an effort to add pizzazz to my plain banana bread. I was pleased with the results, and so were my family and friends! —Janis Allnatt, Rochester, New York
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- 2. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 225 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC