- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (10 ounces) red maraschino cherries, chopped and well drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and pineapple. Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Banana Split Bread
"This bread was delicious , nice & moist. I substituted miniature white chips for the chocolate & chopped pecans. We loved it, almost like fruitcake, but not dry at all."
"I love to bake quick breads for Christmas and I made this one and my family loved it.It is a great quick bread to make anytime of the year but by adding red and green cherries it makes it more festive.Nancy Foust FE"
"very easy to make..."
"I've been making this for at least 20 years. When I'm in a really big hurry I use a yellow or spice cake mix and just throw everything in...the cherries, chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Throw a little extra pumpkin or apple pie spice in as well. I make it for our Preacher every year and many of the Seasoned adults at our church. they ALL love it...My cookbook calls it "Bishop's Bread". My family can't wait for fall to come so I start baking more."
"Hi everyone, captain obvious checking in. To those thinking this sweet bread is too dessert like, you are adding pineapple, chocolate and cherries. Of course it is... Don't serve WITH soup, serve after. Sorta like dessert."