- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add eggs and bananas; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins. Cover and refrigerate until dough is easier to handle (dough will be very soft).
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Banana Spice Cookies
"Looking for a very soft cookie? You found it! Wonderfully spiced. Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar before putting in oven and turned up with big puffy soft cookies. As a Taste of Home volunteer food editor I love recipes that can be assembled quickly with ingredients on-hand."
"We liked this soft spicy cookie"