- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Banana Snack Cake
Sort By :
"I would eliminate the frosting as it was too sweet. The cake is very moist and sweet enough by itself."
"This has been a favorite in our house since 2001. I call it "Banana cake with caramel frosting""
"I made this cake a couple of weeks ago, following the recipe exactly except I omitted the nuts. I agree with many other comments that this was the best banana cake I've ever had. Highly recommended!"
"Best moist banana cake ever."
"This cake is so good on its own, it doesn't even need frosting! We love anything with banana so I made this one evening planning to make the frosting in morning. No need! The cake was mostly eaten before midnight! Teenagers couldn't get enough of the moist warm cake and the adults liked that it was not sickening sweet. A hit with all! For my oven It needed to removed at the 25 minute mark."