Banana Snack Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- 4. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 461 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Banana Snack Cake
"Easy and flavorful if you're using super ripe bananas. I cut the brown sugar by 1/4 cup and it was still sweet to our tastes. It did come out soft and spongy, according to my son. I'm bringing it to a potluck and will sprinkle a bit of confectioner sugar on top since they like their treats really sweet."
"Quick and easy. I didn't frost, just sifted some confectioner's sugar over top and felt it was sweet enough. Will definitely make again."
"I would eliminate the frosting as it was too sweet. The cake is very moist and sweet enough by itself."
"This has been a favorite in our house since 2001. I call it "Banana cake with caramel frosting""
"Best moist banana cake ever."
"This cake is so good on its own, it doesn't even need frosting! We love anything with banana so I made this one evening planning to make the frosting in morning. No need! The cake was mostly eaten before midnight! Teenagers couldn't get enough of the moist warm cake and the adults liked that it was not sickening sweet. A hit with all! For my oven It needed to removed at the 25 minute mark."
"Really good moist banana cake!!! It was very delicious and fairly easy to whip up. I may halve the frosting recipe for next time because everything together was just a little too sweet for my personal tastes. The cake is so good on it's own that it may not even need the frosting. I used coconut oil in place of the shortening and I think I am going to add some rum or rum flavoring to the mix like another reviewer suggested next time I make this."
"A colleague said it was the best banana cake she's ever had!"
"I made this cake for the first time yesterday & divided the batter between an 8x8 square dish & a small bundt cake pan. It turned out great & is truly a wonderful snack cake; it would work for birthday cake or whatever. It is absolutely delicious. I did add 1 TBSP of rum to the bananas before adding them to the mixture.I would definitely recommend this cake!"
"I made this today, my hubby said it was a cross between a banana muffin & a maple bar :-)"
"Bid winner for our family. Surprisingly moist and tasty bar recipe that has become a hit for my family. Made it to take to my daughters and only got a couple of pieces to take home. Love the fact it is so easy and quick to make with so little ingredients needed."
"I usually make cupcakes with this recipe, but frost with a simple butter/confectioners sugar frosting. My coworkers enjoy it. It's a great recipe."
"Everyone loved this very moist and sweet banana cake!"
"This was delicious! Within one week, my husband had nearly eaten the entire thing by himself. I will certainly make this again."
"This is a great cake; the icing makes it a standout!"
"Very tasty cake! Co-workers loved it!"
"This is the absolute best banana cake I have found. I am extremely picky on banana bread and banana cake recipes - they are usually dry and you cant taste the banana flavor..not this one...the cake is so moist and banana-yy...even without the frosting. I have several people at my job that beg me to make this at least 2-3 times a month. It's that Good...."
"My family loved this cake! Thank you"
"This is the best banana cake ever.It is the most moist delicous recipe for ripe bananas.My family likes it without the frosting."
"Re: Banana Snack cake, I agree it was just the recipe I was looking for to use up some ripe bananas!"
"just what I was looking-simple recipe"