Banana Snack Cake Recipe
"I often make this moist banana cake for birthday days," remarks Dawn Fagerstrom from Warren, Minnesota. "The recipe is good for making cupcakes, too - they taste great even without frosting."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- 4. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 461 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 376 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC