My grandmother gave me my first cast iron skillet, and I've been cooking and baking with it ever since. Sometimes I add drained maraschino cherries to this banana skillet dessert and serve it with a ice cream. —Terri Merritts, Nashville, Tennessee
Featured In: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
- 1 package (14 ounces) banana quick bread and muffin mix
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 medium bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare banana bread batter according to package directions; stir in walnuts.
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved. Add lemon juice; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Arrange bananas in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; sprinkle with coconut.
- Spoon prepared batter over coconut. Bake 35-40 minutes or until dark golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Banana Skillet Upside-Down Cake in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Reviews for Banana Skillet Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review