- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Banana Pudding
"I loved the flavor! It was so simple to make, and aside from the wafers, I generally have all of these ingredients on hand. Next time I will crush the vanilla wafers or use graham wafer crumbs, but that is purely a personal preference. I didn't care for the wafers left whole. All in all, a delicious recipe!"
"This is the old Magnolia Restaurant recipe and it's very good. I like it better made with pound cake or lady fingers. Yummy stuff."
"5-Stars! Just like my mom use to make! Turned out great!"
"My mom is from Virginia and always made this. All pies and puddings from scratch are the best! Please tell your son Thank You for his service and God Bless. Thank you too, I can't imagine not seeing either of my boys for two years!"
"I haven't tried this recipe (but I will), reminds me of the way my great Aunt made it except she also put meringue on hers. Would keep the pudding from getting a skin on top. Can't wait!"
"The end results are worth the work! Reminds me of what my mother used to make. I dip the bananas in lemon juice to keep them from turning brown, especially since this lasts a few days at my house."
"I love banana pudding and that is just what this is, if you want something else ask for that recipe!This is great"
"I found this very easy to make and most important very delicious. It took a lot of will power not to finish it after tasting the first piece. Keep in mind that you must have patience while stirring the mixture in the first step. This can take time but it will eventually thicken. Bon appetite!!!!"
"Cook til thick...Perfect!"
"This is the best banana pudding recipe I've found. I've made it twice in the last two weeks and it was devoured both times. As for the pudding not being thick enough, you have to cook it until it is thick. This is an awesome recipe!"