- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Banana Pudding
"I haven't tried this recipe (but I will), reminds me of the way my great Aunt made it except she also put meringue on hers. Would keep the pudding from getting a skin on top. Can't wait!"
"The end results are worth the work! Reminds me of what my mother used to make. I dip the bananas in lemon juice to keep them from turning brown, especially since this lasts a few days at my house."
"I love banana pudding and that is just what this is, if you want something else ask for that recipe!This is great"
"I found this very easy to make and most important very delicious. It took a lot of will power not to finish it after tasting the first piece. Keep in mind that you must have patience while stirring the mixture in the first step. This can take time but it will eventually thicken. Bon appetite!!!!"
"Cook til thick...Perfect!"