Banana Pound Cake Recipe
"I adapted a basic pound cake recipe from my great-aunt for this treat," says Nancy Zimmerman of Cape May Court House, New Jersey. "It makes a moist cake that pops out of the pan perfectly."
- 3 teaspoons plus 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- 1. Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with 3 teaspoons sugar; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas and extracts. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating just until combined.
- 3. Pour into prepared pan (pan will be full). Bake at 325° for 75-85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator. May be frozen for up to 1 month. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 479 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC