- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- bananas and vanilla. Combine, flour baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add alternately to the creamed mixture with buttermilk. Stir in
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle
- with coconut. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for
- 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the sugar, flour, cream and butter in a
- saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add nuts, salt and
- vanilla; cool. Spread filling over one cake layer with coconut side
- up. Place second layer, coconut side up, on top.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the shortening, butter
- confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve frosting
- consistency. Frost sides of cake only. If desired, cake can be made
- without frosting. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 610 calories, 31 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.