- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas. (Mixture may appear curdled.) In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to a small bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of mixture. Refrigerate until cold.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat shortening, butter and extracts until blended. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with cream, adding enough cream to reach desired consistency; beat until smooth.
- Stir pecans into chilled cream mixture. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Banana Pecan Cake with Coconut Frosting in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Banana Pecan Cake with Coconut Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review