A friend gave me this recipe more than 30 years ago. She liked it because it requires no kneading but has the same terrific taste and aroma of traditional banana bread.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Bread Recipes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead.
- Spoon into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Banana Nut Yeast Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p92
Reviews for Banana Nut Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review