Banana Nut Cupcakes
These moist cupcakes from Vicki Abrahamson taste like little loaves of banana bread. "I keep ripe bananas in the freezer, so I can whip up these cupcakes whenever I need them for a bake sale or party," notes the Seabeck, Washington subscriber. "I like to top them with cream cheese frosting," she adds.
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir in bananas, milk and
- vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt;
- gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-20 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes
- before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 153 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium,