"Leftover bananas inspired me to make this homespun bread," recounts Raymond Lux from Arlington, Texas. The loaves are nicely spiced with nutmeg and include lots of crunchy nuts, sweet chocolate chips and hearty oats.
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, beat bananas, sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; stir into banana mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Banana-Nut Chip Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p47
Reviews for Banana-Nut Chip Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review