Banana Nut Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the sugars, bananas, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla until blended. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to sugar mixture. Beat in butter mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 226 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Banana Nut Bars
"These are yummy! I sometimes add coconut as well to the banana bar batter. When I have to take them somewhere that refrigeration may not be available (e.g., picnic, potluck), I will substitute buttercream icing for the cream cheese icing. I also like to sprinkle the bars with chopped pecans or walnuts after icing them."
"A new favorite! These are moist, delicious, frosting is perfect! Love these!"
"These are absolutely wonderful!! They're also easy to make. I substitute 1/2 cup of canola oil in place of 1 stick of butter (so I use 1/2 cup canola oil and 1 stick butter in the batter) to make it a little "heart-healthier." It is not noticable--still very moist and good!"
"I made these for a large family party this summer. Loved by everyone, they were very tasty. The frosting was a bit thinner than I expected, even though it was refridgerated. I will add a bit more powdered sugar to it when I make it again, prhaps the humidity was a factor."
"I just made this recipe earlier today and could not wait to write a review. The cake was moist and the frosting great. My family loved it so much that they are already requesting for me to make it again!"
"I love Banana Nut Bars!Its a good way to use up old bananas. Belle"
"My family and friends really loved these! They were so moist and yummy. The directions don't state when you're supposed to add the nuts but I omitted them anyway and substituted butterscotch chips. I will defenitely make these again! thanks so much for such a delicious recipe!"
"These bars were very good. Like them best when they are cold. Will make again."