During my family's annual cookie exchange, we ran out of our beloved eggnog...much to everyone's horror! So into the kitchen I went to create this cool, creamy concoction—it was a hit!—Jennae LeFebvre, Aurora, Illinois
11 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/3 cup creme de cacao
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and baking cocoa, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups milk, 1-1/2 cups cream,
- egg yolks and sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until
- mixture reaches 160° and is thick enough to coat the back of a
- metal spoon.
- Place bananas in a food processor; cover and process until blended.
- Pour milk mixture into a pitcher; stir in the banana puree, rum,
- creme de cacao, vanilla, and remaining milk and cream. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Pour into chilled glasses. Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle
- with cocoa if desired. Yield: 11 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without garnishes) equals 282 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium,