Banana Meringue Pie Recipe
This pie is the perfect way to end a meal on a cozy, comforting note.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gently stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted; set aside. Slice bananas into the pastry shell. Pour hot filling over bananas.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 387 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC