Banana Meringue Muffins
"My daughter was young when I first baked these treats filled with bananas, cherries and walnuts," recalls James Bogdanovitch of Rutland, Vermont. "She liked them so much that she surprised us one Easter morning with a batch she whipped up by herself."
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 slices ripe banana
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 12 walnut halves
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine biscuit mix and 1/4 cup sugar. In another bowl,
- beat the egg yolks, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened. Spoon 1-1/2 tablespoons of batter into 12
- paper-lined muffin cups. Place a banana slice, cherry half and
- walnut half in each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually
- add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in
- coconut. Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cherry halves. Bake
- at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.