"My daughter was young when I first baked these treats filled with bananas, cherries and walnuts," recalls James Bogdanovitch of Rutland, Vermont. "She liked them so much that she surprised us one Easter morning with a batch she whipped up by herself."
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 slices ripe banana
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 12 walnut halves
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, combine biscuit mix and 1/4 cup sugar. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon 1-1/2 tablespoons of batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Place a banana slice, cherry half and walnut half in each cup. Top with remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in coconut. Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cherry halves. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Meringue Muffins in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p43
Reviews for Banana Meringue Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review