Banana Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 cups cold milk, divided
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat cream and 4 cups milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine remaining milk and pudding mix. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir the juices, bananas, and pudding into cooled egg mixture.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving Yield: about 3-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.