Banana Ice Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve banana cream pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- CREAM PUFFS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs
- Hot fudge or chocolate ice cream topping
- Chopped nuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, pudding mix, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of pudding mixture. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- 3. Stir in the cream, bananas and vanilla. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow ice cream to ripen in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours.
- 4. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 5. Drop by 2 rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- 6. To serve, spoon banana ice cream into cream puffs; replace tops. Drizzle with hot fudge topping and sprinkle with nuts. Yield: About 2 dozen puffs and 3 quarts ice cream.
1 each: 379 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Banana Ice Cream Puffs
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.