Banana Ice Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) cook-and-serve banana cream pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- CREAM PUFFS:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs
- Hot fudge or chocolate ice cream topping
- Chopped nuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, pudding mix, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto the surface of pudding mixture. Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- 3. Stir in the cream, bananas and vanilla. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow ice cream to ripen in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours.
- 4. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 5. Drop by 2 rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- 6. To serve, spoon banana ice cream into cream puffs; replace tops. Drizzle with hot fudge topping and sprinkle with nuts. Yield: About 2 dozen puffs and 3 quarts ice cream.
1 serving (1 each) equals 379 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 188 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.