- buttermilk and brandy. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add
- to the creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture. Beat just
- until combined.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small
- saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk
- until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. In a small bowl, beat
- chocolate mixture until soft peaks form, about 15 seconds. Fold in
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in
- chopped hazelnuts.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the
- chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread frosting over the top and sides of cake. Garnish with whole
- hazelnuts. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cake layers can be baked the day before serving. Store each layer in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 794 calories, 48 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.