- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut buns into 1-in. cubes; place half in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with cream cheese, bananas and remaining cubed buns.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, syrup and cinnamon; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Banana French Toast Bake
Sort By :
"made it for a vacation crowd. after sampling ,all decided to feed it to the gulls. they did not like the bread, and i think adding more cinnamon and banana extract would help. looked great though! I think I will try using raisin bread toast next time"
"Because I was in a hurry, I did not let this set overnight. After reading all of the reviews, I am glad I didn't. Since husband didn't like it, I won't be making this again, but adding chocolate chips would definitely be great for this. Since I liked it, I gave it 4 stars."
"Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. Made it as directed, but might add more cinnamon next time."
"I've made this several times & have made a few changes.1. I use French bread instead of the suggested WW buns. If it's fresh bread, I toast the cubes for a couple of minutes in the oven.2. I roll the cubed cream cheese in sugar (or cinnamon/sugar mixture)3. I add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract to the liquid mix (& a splash of banana extract when I have that on hand).4. I add a handful or so of dark chocolate chips between the 2 layers of bread cubes & a few more on top before baking."
"We thought this recipe was really good! It went together in no time flat and came out of the oven beautiful & delicious, even better as a snack later in the day at room temp. - however I did not use the buns. I had some fresh baked French bread I cubed up tossed with some melted butter and baked till hard and toasty. I wanted the dry bread to really soak up the custard. - when the toasted bread came out of the oven I tossed it with some cinnamon/sugar before it cooled. The bananas were spot on! I'm going next try the recipe with sautéed cinnamon apples! Thanks ToH great recipe!!"