- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut buns into 1-in. cubes; place half in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with cream cheese, bananas and remaining cubed buns.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, syrup and cinnamon; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Banana French Toast Bake
Sort By :
"Because I was in a hurry, I did not let this set overnight. After reading all of the reviews, I am glad I didn't. Since husband didn't like it, I won't be making this again, but adding chocolate chips would definitely be great for this. Since I liked it, I gave it 4 stars."
"Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. Made it as directed, but might add more cinnamon next time."
"I've made this several times & have made a few changes.1. I use French bread instead of the suggested WW buns. If it's fresh bread, I toast the cubes for a couple of minutes in the oven.2. I roll the cubed cream cheese in sugar (or cinnamon/sugar mixture)3. I add 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract to the liquid mix (& a splash of banana extract when I have that on hand).4. I add a handful or so of dark chocolate chips between the 2 layers of bread cubes & a few more on top before baking."
"We thought this recipe was really good! It went together in no time flat and came out of the oven beautiful & delicious, even better as a snack later in the day at room temp. - however I did not use the buns. I had some fresh baked French bread I cubed up tossed with some melted butter and baked till hard and toasty. I wanted the dry bread to really soak up the custard. - when the toasted bread came out of the oven I tossed it with some cinnamon/sugar before it cooled. The bananas were spot on! I'm going next try the recipe with sautéed cinnamon apples! Thanks ToH great recipe!!"
"this was not good at all. I used cut up texas toast vs. hamburger buns. That was my only substitution. This looked great coming out of the oven. However, it had no flavor, and the texture was as if someone had already chewed it for me. This should not have made the cover of the magazine."