Banana Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 297 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Banana Cupcakes
"Only made the cupcakes but wow they are yum!!"
"....I'm making this again for the second time."
"This was a great family get together desert the kids love making them"
"These cupcakes are so delicious! My boyfriend wanted Banana Cupcakes for his birthday, so I tried this recipe for the first time and I was very pleased. The bake time says 15 mins, but I found that it took a little longer, more like 20 mins. I'm sure it varies by oven. All in all, I will make these cupcakes again for sure. Very yummy to the tummy! Go banana cupcakes!!"
"I made these cupcakes and loved them! I took them to 2 different get togethers and they were gone in minutes! The frosting didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, would use a different recipe for that because I'm not an experienced cook I'm not 100% sure on what to add to made it better..but the cupcake recipe was fabulous!"
"I made this more of a vegan recipe with some alterations. I used soy margarine for the shortening, whole wheat white flour for the flour, egg replacer for eggs, organic unrefined sugar for sugar and since I didnt have any almond milk or buttermilk, I used my son's milk and added about a teaspoon of vinegar to sour it and made my own vegan cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are wonderful. Very moist. I wanted to make cupcakes for my son's birthday in August and did a pretest of this one and will definelty be using this recipe for his cupcakes."
"These banana cupcakes were very moist and delicious. I did not use the confectioners' sugar frosting, I thought it would have been to sweet. The cupcakes were a huge hit."
"I loved the cupcakes and would make them again. I liked the mild banana favor and that it wasn't heavy liked a muffin. I used bananas that I had frozen and I plan to make more this week and freeze for a quick not too sweet treat. With or without icing they are very good!"
"This was a good banana cupcake, kind of plain though - I added chocolate chips to the batter and they tasted so much better! I used a homemade creamcheese frosting for these also."
"Would coconut sprinkled on top of the frosting be good?"
"These were great. My kids loved them. I made chocolate cupcakes also & the banana ones beat out the chocolate."