Banana Cupcakes Recipe
This recipe was given to me by my mother, and I've since handed it down to my daughters. The moist cupcakes are topped with frosting that comes together in no time. And if you'd like even more banana taste, stir some mashed banana into it. —Wanda Thole, Leonard, Minnesota
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC