Using extra-ripe bananas in this recipe ensures the cupcakes will be sweet and moist. The ganache frosting is made even fluffier with the addition of marshmallow creme. —Stephanie Lelo, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate with cream over low heat; stir until blended. Remove from the heat. Transfer to a small bowl; cool until mixture reaches room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture. Beat until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Cupcakes with Ganache Frosting in Taste of Home's Cupcake of the Week Newsletter 2009, p3/30/09
Reviews for Banana Cupcakes with Ganache Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review