Banana Crumb Snack Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine almonds and brown sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
- 2. Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips.
- 3. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved almond mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 386 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Banana Crumb Snack Cake
"Excellent recipe!!! Very moist and delicious!"
"This is a great way to use up leftover bananas. I love this cake, including the topping. I sometimes substitute walnuts or pecans for the almonds, and I also have sometimes added a bit of cinnamon to the topping. Butterscotch chips are also a nice substitute for the vanilla or white chips."
"Have found this snack cake to be a ***winner*** with my family!!"
"This is quite possibly the best thing you could ever make with bananas! I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream this time and liked it even more. It does take a little longer to bake than stated, so maybe two 8X8 pans would be better. Love the almond flavor with banana. It also freezes well."
"Yummy! I needed a new way to use up some overripe bananas and this recipe was definitely the way to go. What a great change from the usual option of banana bread. Took this cake to work and my coworkers couldn't get enough. The almonds add a nice crunch, but you can also leave them off and just use the brown sugar as a topping and it comes out just as delicious!"
"Thiis was better than a heavy banana muffin, nice and light and the crunchy topping is divine! I added 5 bananas and baked it in 2 square pans for 40 minutes."
"As the top pastry chef for my church, I found this item to be a top seller and favorite at our annual bake sales."
"Since the issue came out, I have made this recipe 3 times. It is fantactic for a brunch or as a dessert. I made this recipe for a party and I had lots of people asking for the recipe! I add in an extra banana if I have it on hand. LOVE IT!!!!!"
"My family loves this recipe. I use chocolate chips, rather than vanilla or white chips. Nummy!"