- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine almonds and brown sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in chips.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved almond mixture. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Crumb Snack Cake
"This is a great way to use up leftover bananas. I love this cake, including the topping. I sometimes substitute walnuts or pecans for the almonds, and I also have sometimes added a bit of cinnamon to the topping. Butterscotch chips are also a nice substitute for the vanilla or white chips."
"Have found this snack cake to be a ***winner*** with my family!!"
"This is quite possibly the best thing you could ever make with bananas! I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream this time and liked it even more. It does take a little longer to bake than stated, so maybe two 8X8 pans would be better. Love the almond flavor with banana. It also freezes well."
"Yummy! I needed a new way to use up some overripe bananas and this recipe was definitely the way to go. What a great change from the usual option of banana bread. Took this cake to work and my coworkers couldn't get enough. The almonds add a nice crunch, but you can also leave them off and just use the brown sugar as a topping and it comes out just as delicious!"
"Thiis was better than a heavy banana muffin, nice and light and the crunchy topping is divine! I added 5 bananas and baked it in 2 square pans for 40 minutes."
"As the top pastry chef for my church, I found this item to be a top seller and favorite at our annual bake sales."
"Easy and quick to make; delicious to eat. I used walnuts and vanilla extract in place of slivered almonds and almond extract. We loved it served with whipped topping for dessert."
"had this cake at a friends and loved it. So YUMMY! Can't wait to make it...thanks for the tips on baking longer!"
"Since the issue came out, I have made this recipe 3 times. It is fantactic for a brunch or as a dessert. I made this recipe for a party and I had lots of people asking for the recipe! I add in an extra banana if I have it on hand. LOVE IT!!!!!"