Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 medium firm bananas
- Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook for and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cream Pie(12)
Sort By :
I took the advice of those who dropped the sugar to only a half cup and took bakingmama's advice about cooking it in the microwave - turned out wonderfully! My family loves it! Tastes even better the next morning!!! Very easy and inexpensive to make, as it simply requires pantry staples.
Everyone in my family loved this pie. I only used 1/2 cup of sugar and drizzled chocolate sauce over the top. It turned out great. I will be making this again.
This pie is just like the recipe I had gotten from my mother-in-law. I was so happy to find this recipe when I misplaced my original! It is even better when you add a layer of shredded coconut on top of the banana slices before covering them with the cream filling. I use the left over egg whites to make a meringue top with coconut sprinkled on top before browning the meringue. It is one of our favorite recipes!
Too custardy. Don't know if using fat free milk would help, as I used whole milk, but with the latter it was much thick. Also, there wasn't enough of the custard/creme to fill a premade Oreo pie crust, so I added extra banana... which made the pie "just banana, honestly". I doubt I'll try this recipe again, but hey, if you like custard > creme, by all means, try it! Definitely some tasty custard. (Oh, and like another reviewer, I used 1/2 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup, and it tasted sweet enough imo).
Easy to make and delicious