- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 medium firm bananas
- Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook for and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
"The first time I made this pie I burnt the filling as I cooked it on the stove top. I attempted it again turning the heat down to medium and stirring constantly. The topping cooked smooth and creamy. My husband said it tasted very good."
"This is really a great one!"
"I took the advice of those who dropped the sugar to only a half cup and took bakingmama's advice about cooking it in the microwave - turned out wonderfully! My family loves it! Tastes even better the next morning!!! Very easy and inexpensive to make, as it simply requires pantry staples."
"Everyone in my family loved this pie. I only used 1/2 cup of sugar and drizzled chocolate sauce over the top. It turned out great. I will be making this again."
"This pie is just like the recipe I had gotten from my mother-in-law. I was so happy to find this recipe when I misplaced my original! It is even better when you add a layer of shredded coconut on top of the banana slices before covering them with the cream filling. I use the left over egg whites to make a meringue top with coconut sprinkled on top before browning the meringue. It is one of our favorite recipes!"