- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook for and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour filling over top. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cream Pie
"Tastes just like my mom's! I don't use a pie crust at all. Just cut the bananas into a casserole dish & pour the filling over it; top with Cool Whip or whipped cream! Yum! Started skipping the crust when I made this the first time in Aug. 1994. My six children were all young & didn't like pie crust. But, they love this dessert! The only modifications I've made is to cut the sugar to 1/2 cup & use only 2 egg yolks."
"I used a graham cracker crust rather than a regular pastry shell. The filling seemed too soft for my taste. If I make it again I'll substitute corn starch for flour and try to make it a bit thicker. Very flavorful, though."
"The first time I made this pie I burnt the filling as I cooked it on the stove top. I attempted it again turning the heat down to medium and stirring constantly. The topping cooked smooth and creamy. My husband said it tasted very good."
"This is really a great one!"
"I took the advice of those who dropped the sugar to only a half cup and took bakingmama's advice about cooking it in the microwave - turned out wonderfully! My family loves it! Tastes even better the next morning!!! Very easy and inexpensive to make, as it simply requires pantry staples."