VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Additional sliced ripe banana
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. pie plate. Stir together 1-3/4 cups cake mix, egg and 1 tablespoon butter until combined. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth dough forms. Roll dough to fit prepared pie plate. Flute edge. Prick bottom several times with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk milk and pudding mix 2 minutes. Fold in banana and 1 cup whipped topping. Transfer to cooled crust. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining cake mix, peanut butter and remaining butter until crumbly. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined rimmed baking pan. Bake until golden brown, 14-18 minutes, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Top pie with additional sliced banana and some of the crumb topping (save additional crumb topping for another use). Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Banana Cream Pie with Cake Mix Crust in Taste of Home September/October 2017