Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the custard into pastry shell. Slice bananas; arrange over filling. Pour remaining custard over bananas. Spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cream Pie(32)
Sort By :
This pie was wonderful. I loved that it didn't have all of those artificial ingredients found in instant pudding and cool whip. It was decadent, but delicious. The custard truly needs overnight to set up completely.
I'm a a mildly experienced baker. Usually my creations a really good or extremely mediocre. Anyhow it is my darling boyfriend's birthday tommorrow and his favorite pie is, u'd guess'd it, Mom's Banana Cream Pie! I was sorta nervous of screwing this up majorly, such as scalded the pudding or that the pudding wouldn't thicken but it is now cooling on my stove and it is Delicious and beauitful. I love vanilla, like A LOT, but my taste tester (Auntie Ruth) said that it has a tiny bit to much vanilla (I used a tsp, so mybe ya'll can try 1/2 tsp). Also, I used cream top whole milk to up to richness factor (of course and why not?, this is banana CREAM PIE not Banana low fat pie, hehe) Anyhow, I can't wait to assemble it and see my sweetheart's face. I'll bet he'll eat the entire pie. This was so easy and I would definetly make again.
Amazing! I'd never made a cream pie before, so I was a little nervous, but it turned out perfect! Made it for Easter, and everyone loved it! Will definitely be keeping this recipe for future use.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Banana Cream Pie Recipes >
- Banana Pie Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Make Ahead Desserts >