Banana Cream Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large firm banana
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Slice banana into the crust; pour filling over top. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 336 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (33g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Banana Cream Meringue Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.