Banana Cream Meringue Pie Recipe
I grew up on a farm in Alberta, and I still remember my mom's pies, fresh from the oven for supper. This creamy banana variety is so good, no store-bought version can compare!
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large firm banana
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Slice banana into the crust; pour filling over top. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 336 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Banana Cream Meringue Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC