- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large firm banana
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Keep warm.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Slice banana into the crust; pour filling over top. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Banana Cream Meringue Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p56
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Banana Cream Meringue Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review