Banana Cranberry Muffins Recipe
"Any time I get together with friends and family members, they ask me to bring some of these yummy muffins," writes Gretchen Zoch. The Boiling Springs, North Carolina reader relies on cranbereies to dress up her homemade banana muffins.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring cranberries, 1 cup sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until berries begin to pop. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas. Fold in cranberry mixture and walnuts.
- 3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 14 muffins.
1 serving (1 each) equals 250 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC