- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 to 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Combine topping ingredients; add half to batter.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with the remaining topping. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Banana Coffee Cake
"I think it needed a middle layer. This is what I used for the middle layer:1/3 c. brown sugar1/3 c nuts1 tsp Cinnamon.I put half the batter in the pan. Then sprinkled the middle layer over it. Then topped it with the rest of the batter. I cooked it for 35 minutes."
"This was really good and easy to make. I followed the recipe other then I didn't use the topping. Loved this."
"Very good! I've made it twice--first time, I didn't get it done enough. Second time was perfect, but needed 35-40 minutes in my oven. I didn't have pecans so used walnuts."
"This is a nice alternative to banana bread, which is what I usually make with overripe bananas. Easy to make and tasty too!"
"Everything a coffee cake should be. What a nice alternative to using up those bananas that get a little too ripe."
"I always find it amusing when people still think that coffee cake refers to a cake made with coffee. Either they have never had a grandmother or mother who baked much or lived in a place where baked goods are rare. A coffee cake is simply a cake of the quick bread nature which is meant to be eaten with a cup of coffee. U. Chef, there is no coffee here because it is not meant to have it. Every nationality has a version of such a cake. In this recipe, Georgia Courtney has given us a beautiful example of how a great coffee cake and a good cup of coffee can really make your day."
"This was easy to make and delicious!"
"Easy and tasty!"
"I noptice the distinct lack of Coffee in this "Banana Coffee cake" recipe.Seems odd those who rated it before hadn't point this out!!!!!!"
"The only modification I made was to use lower fat cream cheese; it turned out really good - nice and moist with good banana flavor. I would like to try this with walnuts instead of pecans and to make a middle cinnamon layer.Note: Using a 9x13 pan and the recommended temperature, this recipe took more like 35 minutes to set in the middle so the toothpick came out clean."