VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine oats and boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, bananas, sugars, oil and vanilla until blended. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture.
- Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Cocoa Brownies in Country Woman May/June 2000, p36
Reviews forBanana Cocoa Brownies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2010
"Very moist brownie. A bit heavy on the sugar, so I think I would cut the amount next time, but this is a personal preference."