Banana Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar substitute and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in water and vanilla. Combine the flour, dry milk powder, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in bananas.
- 2. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges of cake are just starting to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 179 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Banana Chocolate Cake
"This was a great change up from banana bread! Check out my full review (and more!) on my blog: http://heatskitchen.com/2010/08/04/banana-chocolate-cake/"
"Think I will just stick with regular banana bread, to which I add 1/2 to 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips for a more "grown-up" taste. You still get the same chocolate effect minus the cocoa powder. If you want, add a streusel topping, and voila...a great banana bread! It seems odd to add sugar substitute given that you are also using brown sugar. You could decrease the white sugar by substituting 1/2 cup apple sauce for the sugar. It will still taste the same."
"Like a banana split."
"Let me start by saying my Dad HATES bananas but he didn't even taste them (I did add an extra tbsp of Cocoa and some chocolate syrup for this reason). Not completely a cake like texture, but still good."
"This was a super easy cake recipe and it is a WONDERFUL change from banana bread-although it pretty much tastes the same with a little bit of chocolate. Whenever someone needs a cake quick I'll make this! And I didn't use any frosting, but I guarantee you it would only add to the cake!"
"This is easy and wonderful! I didn't have the suger subtitute so I used real suger so that will change the calorie count but I have made this recipe 2 times in about 3 days...Its great!"
"Delicious and easy to make. Did not affect my husband's blood sugar level."
"This was nice change to the regular banana cake, very tasty, it was hard to stop at 1 piece so we didn't.I didn't have any dry milk powder so i used FF flavored coffee creamer (powder ) worked well."
"nice to try a different recipe for bananas, turned out to be rather tasty"
"This is a really delicious and moist cake. I made it for a family gathering and they loved it. My little grandson really gobbled it up and he usually doesn't go for dessert that much. I used my own frosting recipe instead of the one printed here."
"This cake is quick, easy, and satisfies a sweet tooth! Tastes like a moist banana cake with a hint of chocolate in the background. It is light textured and good 'as is' without any topping. I used half whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached white to equal the flour measurement. Husband liked his serving in a bowl with some almond milk poured over it. Would also be good with a cream cheese or chocolate or vanilla butter-cream frosting."
"I was very surprised but this was very good !I definately would make it again."