Banana-Chip Oat Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in the bananas, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 218 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.