While looking for a chocolate chip cookie that was a little different, I came up with this version. The result is a cake-like cookie that stands out from the rest. It's a great way to use up those ripe bananas. —JoAnne Wempe, Seneca, Kansas
Recommended: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk, honey and banana. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Banana Chip Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p30
Reviews forBanana Chip Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2015
"Horrible! I knew it was going to be way too much flour and i should have gone with my instincts. They were like dry biscuits. Wasted all those ingredients plus my time making these."