Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting Recipe
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 large)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted pistachios, toasted
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 containers (8 ounces each) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Additional chopped unsalted pistachios, toasted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in 3/4 cup pistachios.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add cocoa; mix until blended. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake. Spread top and sides with 2 cups frosting. Press pistachios into sides of cake if desired.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a large pastry or plastic bag; insert #127 petal pastry tip. Fill the bag with remaining frosting. Pipe concentric circles of frosting over top of cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until frosting is set. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Sort By :
"We only made the cake, not the frosting out of ease and we left off the pistachios for personal preference. We also just about doubled the bananas to ensure that they were the highlight. Everyone really enjoyed it. I enjoyed taking credit for it."
"I followed this recipe excactly. The cake turned out o.k. but the frosting was horrible. Way too sweet and the color was not like the picture. We couldnt even taste the cream cheese."
"Made this cake for my son's birthday and he loved it! Next time will bake less than the time required because 45 minutes was a bit much but that could be my oven. Frosting was amazing too!!!"
"This is the BEST banana cake and the BEST chocolate frosting I have ever had! I've made this several times and have always had rave reviews! This is a keeper!"
"I am rating the cake alone. I used a different frosting. I was making the cake for a friend's wedding. She wanted just a regular chocolate buttercream. But the cake alone is fabulous.I have made this twice now. The first time for her tasting I made the recipe as listed. But thought it needed more of a banana flavor. So thought I would add more bananas for the official wedding cake.Both times I omitted the nuts because of possible nut allergies with guests at the wedding. She didn't want to take a chance.I doubled the recipe for the wedding cake. It made 2 perfect 10" square layers. I had 4 cups of mashed bananas. Double the recipe would have been 3 cups. But the 4 cups was the perfect amount. Cake was so moist & flavor was excellent!!! Lowered the oven temp to 325 since the cakes were so large.Turned out perfect!!Thanks for sharing and will definitely use this recipe again and again!!!"