Like my father, I love to spend time in the kitchen inventing new recipes. There are a few pleasures greater than sampling one of these warm muffins on a winter day. —Kimberly Kronenburg, New Lenox, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful over each muffin.
- Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 15 muffins.
Originally published as Banana Buttermilk Muffins in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p42
Reviews for Banana Buttermilk Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review