- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful over each muffin.
- Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 15 muffins.
Reviews for Banana Buttermilk Muffins
"Really yummy! Muffin isn't overly sweet so the struesel topping is perfect. I used 1 c AP flour and 1 c whole wheat flour and added chopped walnuts to the batter. Will definitely make again."
"I made these at the beach. They were perfect. I did use an extra banana for moisture. I forgot the butter in the topping and no one missed it."
"Added an extra banana .i like the topping. I'll use it for other things too:)"
"Added cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg to this recipe and left off the topping. Was very good and moist."
"Very good banana bread, not too sweet. The crumb topping is delicious!"
"Very good! I must not have it the butter in well enough because I had flour left on top of some. Tasty, but not pretty. I will melt the butter, I think. Didn't have any buttermilk, but added a teaspoon of vinegar to the cup of milk and let it sit a few minutes. Easy."
"I get lots of compliments when I serve these moist muffins."
"I loved this recipe! Excellent flavor and texture! Will definitely make again!"
"This was the best banana muffin recipe I ever made -- I made them in an 8-cavity mini loaf pan, and they were absolutely moist and delicious. The light crunch of the topping was a nice special touch. Thanks for a great recipe!!"