Banana Bundles with Caramel Sauce Recipe
These attractive bundles from our Test Kitchen have the fantastic flavor of Bananas Foster. It’s best to use firm bananas in this recipe.
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- BANANA BUNDLES:
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and 1 tablespoon butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook and stir over medium-high heat just until mixture comes to a boil, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Whisk in vanilla and salt. Cut remaining butter into small pieces; whisk into sauce, a few pieces at a time, until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the bananas, butter, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Unfold puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to a 12-in. square.
- 4. Cut into four squares; lightly brush edges with water. Place 1/4 cup banana mixture in the center of each square. Bring corners of pastry over filling and twist to form a bundle; pinch edges closed.
- 5. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar; serve warm with caramel sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC