Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups cubed day-old French or sourdough bread (1-in. pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place the bread cubes in a greased 2-qt. casserole; pour butter over and toss to coat. In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in bananas.
- 2. Pour over bread cubes and stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch; add to butter. Stir in milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla. Serve warm sauce over warm pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 439 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Banana Bread Pudding
"Bread pudding has always been a favorite in my family. This recipe takes it to the next level for me because of the bananas. Absolutely delicious! Making a second pan with chocolate chips thrown in with the bananas. That was my son's suggestion."
"This is the recipe i go to when ever I have a dinner party and I want to impress my guests, you should hear the oows and aaahaws and the many complements I receive. I think the Theking1660 should all have their taste buds examined. I consider this one of my most decadent recopies in my collection! I would give it 10 stars."
"We each took one bite of it before adding sauce and threw it in the garbage. I would keep looking for another recipe, I'm sure there are better ones online."
"it's very easy to make and really really good, the only thing I did different was let it sit for a couple of hrs. That allows the flavors to meld together and makes it even more yummy. I would definitely make it again."
"very easy and delicious"
"This is very easy to bake, I love the ingredients n I've made it n it was so deliouse tastes, n u must try it,n thank you so much from taste of home, I would like more of different recipe ."
"Oh my word. The smell from my kitchen was awesome. I made a double batch. This recipe is phenomenal. I altered it to use truvia instead of sugar. And I don't normally use nutmeg so I skipped it. We dived in without the sauce. I might or might not make the sauce tomorrow."
"I used rum extract in place of the vanilla. It smelled so good coming out of the oven that we had it all gone doing "taste tests" before I ever got around to making the sauce. Definately a winner."
"Love this recipe! I've been making it since it appeared in Taste of Home in '94. It is very flavorful. The sauce is a must for this. I've used this sauce for other recipes. Yum!"
"Delicious and my kids loved it! I used double the amount of Bananas and half and half for the sauce. Easy recipe but very good. Scott"
"I've made this a lot of times and love it. I think it's excellent. sometimes I'll omit the banana's and add peaches. sometimes I add raisins."
"My Favorite! I have a big weakness for Bread Pudding...Then add Banana's to the mix...Totally to die for!"
"This bread pudding is simple to make, delicious and comfort food at it's finest. I didn't make the sauce prefering a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top...yummy!!!"
"This dessert is the BEST!!! My family loves it and it is sooo delicious on a cold day--- real comfort food! (I use reg. bread as that's what I have on hand)."
"I have been making this since I discovered the recipe in 94. I think the sauce makes it. I use canned milk in the sauce recipe and it just seems to make it better. My whole family loves this."
"This is a great recipe- my family loved it (especially witha scoop of vanilla ice cream on top). I'll be making this dessert again!"